Eligibility and benefits of HAP Montreal
The HAP or Home Adaptation Program subsidizes the work needed to facilitate the movement of people with reduced mobility in their homes. The processing of file eligibility was formerly handled by the SHQ or Service d’Habitation du Québec, but a change has taken place since the spring of 2020. The city of Montreal is now responsible for managing the budget granted to beneficiaries. What are the eligibility criteria and benefits of these new provisions?
Eligibility criteria for the HAP in the city of Montreal
A person’s eligibility for the Montreal Home Adaptation Program is subject to the following criteria:
- This person must be declared disabled by law;
- She has not yet received a subsidy under the PAD or any other program and insurance for the work of adapting her home during the 5 years preceding the submission of his file;
- Adapting your home is essential to guarantee good living conditions. She must attach to her file a report from an occupational therapist mentioning her current and future needs in order to determine the appropriate equipment to install. The latter is also required to indicate the psychosocial contexts that may affect the patient’s needs.
What equipment is subsidized?
The HAP Montreal subsidizes adaptation work carried out to facilitate access to the interior and exterior of the house, to the bathroom, to the kitchen and essential installations such as electrical outlets or switches.
Eligible equipment is as follows:
- Stair chair;
- Rail Hoist;
- Lifting platform;
- Automatic Garage Door Opener
- Communication gear like strobe doorbell.
What are the benefits of this change?
This change in the management of the allocated budget brings many advantages to the beneficiaries of the HAP in the city of Montreal, particularly in financial terms. They can actually receive up to $35,000 to adapt their home instead of $16,000 previously. In addition, it makes it easier for Montrealers to access the program and would surely reduce file processing times.
Good to know
It is important to note that the work must be completed within 12 months of receipt of the grant. The sum granted is paid to the owner of the premises upon presentation of the corresponding invoices.