Subsidy for home adaptation by the PAD

There are government grants to adapt your home. Whether you are a person with reduced mobility or a disabled person, grants are available to help you adapt your home to allow you to maintain your independence while remaining in your home.

The Government has set up the Home Adaptation Program (PAD) provided for this purpose.

Here is some useful information:

Who is eligible for the CSA program and its grants?

Any person with a disability or reduced mobility who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (whether tenant, homeowner or boarder) whose daily activities are limited by their condition may be eligible for the program. However, she must provide an occupational therapist’s report attesting that her needs are persistent and require the adaptation of her home. People who have access to subsidies granted by the SAAQ and the CSST for the adaptation of their home are not eligible for the PAD program.

Which buildings are eligible for CSA?

Any building used as a residence for a person eligible for the Home Adaptation Program (PAD): detached house, rental apartment building, rooming house or mobile homes. Residences for the elderly that are certified by the Ministry of Health and Social Services, as well as intermediate resources housing nine people or less, are also eligible for the program.

It is however relevant to note that tenants must receive the approvals of their landlord.

How much financial assistance can the PAD provide?

The grant can be up to $16,000 per eligible person. In certain specific cases, the SHQ could allocate an additional amount of up to $7,000. If specialized equipment was needed, the SHQ could pay up to an additional $10,000. Everything is granted according to certain specific criteria determined by the SHQ.

What steps must be followed to access the Home Adaptation Program?

  1. First, you will need to meet with an occupational therapist who will need to compile a file.
  2. You will need to register for the PAD program via your CHSLD or via the Société d’habitation du Québec (SHQ). Ask for the program registration form.
  3. Once the form is completed, the applicant must send it to the SHQ, which will send it to the health establishment of the occupational therapist involved and to the municipality or MRC where the applicant resides.
  4. Thereafter, an agent or inspector from the MRC or municipality, will compile a file and draw up the list of work to be done according to the report provided by the occupational therapist and will determine the amount allocated for the work.
  5. At this time, you may need a bidder to get your work done. Do not hesitate to call on our services, our team of professionals will accompany you in these steps.
  6. The owner must then wait for the eligibility certificate before starting the work. This certificate constitutes the acceptance of the file.
  7. Following receipt of the eligibility certificate, the owner can then have the work carried out. These must be done by a contractor who has the appropriate license from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.
  8. The financial assistance will be paid in full at the end of the work, when the municipality or the MRC has verified that the work has indeed been carried out and meets the established standards.

There is generally a delay of about 18 to 24 months before the work is completed. However, for people who want to save time, it is possible to hire a private occupational therapist. This could significantly reduce delays. For more information on this subject, contact us at 514-751-2121.

In summary:

All persons with reduced mobility who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, whose daily activities are compromised by their situation, may be eligible for the PAD if they provide an assessment from an occupational therapist establishing that the impairment of this person is significant and persistent and that the resulting limitations make it necessary to adapt or modify his home. This person must not receive subsidies for home adaptations from the SAAQ and/or the CSST.

The work must be carried out by a contractor holding the appropriate license from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec. En Mouvement is qualified by its skills and the fact that it has the general contractor’s license as well as the contractor’s license specializing in lifting devices for the disabled.

The procedures can take up to 24 months to be completed. However, there is a way to speed up the process by hiring a private occupational therapist.

Eligible work must contribute to making the person independent at home, at least in the priority rooms of the house.

Who to contact for more information

For more information, contact us at 514-751-2121.

It is also possible to contact the person responsible for the home adaptation program in your municipality or MRC.

For additional information, the employees of the SHQ Customer Relations Center suggest the following number: 1 800 463-4315